Edited by Mark Hall. The Dark Man V2N1/2.
The Dark Man: Journal of Robert E. Howard and Pulp Studies is a peer-reviewed scholarly journal devoted to the academic study of Robert E. Howard’s literary legacy as well as the literary historical and print culture contexts associated with it. The journal seeks to publish full-length articles, brief critical notes and commentaries, bibliographies, reviews of books, and other scholarship that treats Howard’s life, time, literary work, and associated topics such as Weird Tales, H.P. Lovecraft, and the concept of a transhistorical pulp fiction aesthetic.
- 1 • Editorial Comments (The Dark Man V2n1/2) • essay by Mark Hall
- 1 • Editorial Comments • interior artwork by Shelly Burke
- 4 • Robert E. Howard and Poetic Narrative: The Bardic Tradition and “Popular Modernities” • essay by Frank Coffman
- 18 • Robert E. Howard: New Deal Heroic Fantasist • essay by Rusty Burke
- 27 • Crash Go the Civilizations: Some Notes on Robert E. Howard’s Use of History and Anthropology • essay by Mark Hall
- 38 • “Red Shadows” Through the Lens of Northrop Faye’s Archetypal Criticism • essay by Patrick R. Burger
- 56 • Letters to the Editor (The Dark Man V2n1/2) • essay by Mark Hall
- 57 • Letter (The Dark Man V2n1/2) • essay by Mark Finn
- 62 • Letter (The Dark Man V2n1/2) • essay by Jeffrey Kahan
- 69 • Letter (The Dark Man V2n1/2) • essay by Steve Trout
- 73 • Letter (The Dark Man V2n1/2) • essay by Edward A. Waterman
- 76 • The Dark Man V2n1/2 • interior artwork by uncredited
- 77 • Review of “Conan: The Legend Returns” from Dark Horse Comics • essay by Terry Allen
- 80 • Review of “Adventure Tales”, a magazine edited by John Gregory Betancourt • essay by Morgan Holmes
- 82 • Review of “The Cimmerian” a fanzine edited by Leo Grin • essay by Charles Allen Gramlich [as by Charles Gramlich]
- 87 • Review: Boxing Stories by Robert E. Howard • review by Jeffrey Kahan
- 91 • Review: Bran Mak Morn: The Last King by Robert E. Howard • review by Charles Hoffman
- 94 • Review: The Bloody Crown of Conan by Robert E. Howard • review by Jeffrey Kahan
Cover artist credited in “Editorial Comments”.
|Publisher :||Seele-Brennt Publications|
|Year :||Spring 2006|
|Format :||Periodical (perfect bound, 5 1/2 x 8 1/2 )|
|Illustrations :||Shelly Burke|
PDF-file downloaded from ResearchGate.net where Mark Hall made it available.