A chapbook from 1997. Edited by Rusty Burke.
The Dark Man #4: Journal of Robert E. Howard and Pulp Studies is a peer-reviewed scholarly journal devoted to the academic study of Robert E. Howard’s literary legacy as well as the literary historical and print culture contexts associated with it. The journal seeks to publish full-length articles, brief critical notes and commentaries, bibliographies, reviews of books, and other scholarship that treats Howard’s life, time, literary work, and associated topics such as Weird Tales, H.P. Lovecraft, and the concept of a transhistorical pulp fiction aesthetic.
The seven reviews of Howard publications by Rusty Burke are presented under the heading “The Robert E. Howard Library” from Baen Books.
- 1 • The Birth of Conan • essay by Patrice Louinet
- 12 • The Origin of Cimmeria • essay by Rusty Burke
- 16 • The Star Rover and the People of the Night • essay by Fred Blosser
- 19 • Howard Publishing in Eastern Europe • essay by Glenn Lord
- 22 • Conan & Robert E. Howard on the Internet • essay by Edward A. Waterman
- 24 • Remembrances: Jim Neal • essay by Fred Blosser
- 25 • Remembrances: Harold Preece • essay by Rusty Burke
- 26 • Remebrances: Karl Edward Wagner • essay by Rusty Burke
- 27 • Review of “The Whole Wide World” a movie directed by Dan Ireland • essay by David C. Smith
- 32 • Review: Cormac Mac Art by Robert E. Howard • review by Rusty Burke
- 32 • Review: Kull by Robert E. Howard • review by Rusty Burke
- 32 • Review: Solomon Kane by Robert E. Howard • review by Rusty Burke
- 33 • Review: Bran Mak Morn by Robert E. Howard • review by Rusty Burke
- 33 • Review: Eons of the Night by Robert E. Howard • review by Rusty Burke
- 33 • Review: Trails in Darkness by Robert E. Howard • review by Rusty Burke
- 33 • Review: Beyond the Borders by Robert E. Howard • review by Rusty Burke
- 34 • Review: Tough Guys and Dangerous Dames by Stefan Dziemianowicz and Martin H. Greenberg and Robert E. Weinberg • review by Fred Blosser
- 35 • Review: Unaussprechlichen Kulten: Etudes & Textes de Robert E. Howard, No. 1″ Octobre 1990 by Stephane Labrousse and Lionel Londeix and Patrice Louinet • review by Vernon M. Clark
Saddle stapled, wraps. Page numbers do not include covers.
Cover illustration signed and credited on front cover.
Robert H. Knox designed the banner that appears on the cover and title page.
The next issue was published by Mind’s Eye HyperPublishing/Iron Harp Publications.