Howard sold two stories to Thrilling Adventures. This issue contains ‘The Treasure of Tartary’. It was originally titled Gold From Tartary. It was received by Howard’s agent on 15 November 1933 and Howard earned $42.50 for its publication.
Kirby O’Donnell is a fictional character created by Robert E. Howard. He is an American treasure hunter in early-twentieth century Afghanistan disguised as a Kurdish merchant, “Ali el Ghazi”. Howard only wrote three stories about O’Donnell, one of which was not published within his lifetime.
O’Donnell searches the forbidden city of Shahrazar, ruled by the Uzbek Shaibar Khan, for the lost treasure of Khuwarezm (which, legend states, was hidden to protect it from Genghis Khan).
- 12 – Blood of the Dragon – Arthur J. Burks
- 48 – Famous Soldiers of Fortune – Illustration Gen. Lee Christmas, Gen. Stonewall Jackson and others.
- 50 – The Treasures of Tartary- Robert E. Howard
- 63 – The Whirlwind’s Private War – Johnston McCulley
- 74 – The Trail of the Red Diamonds – Lieut. Jonathan Daly
- 92 – World of Doom – Ray Cummings
- 113 – Tumble Bug – Sam Brant
- 120 – Yaqui Gold – Wayne Rogers
- 137 – The Black Pearl – Capt. Kerry McRoberts
- 146 – The Globe Trotter – A Department
Thanks to Dennis McHaney for providing me with a high resolution photo.
|Publisher :||Metropolitan Magazines|
|Year :||January 1935|
|Format :||Periodical (Pulp Magazine)|
|Cover :||Harry Lemon Parkhurst|
If you like to read a copy of this, just click the button below.