A really beautiful book with artwork by Roy G. Krenkel. Krenkel was a huge Howard fan. Contains a two-part article about REH & RGK. The first by Richard Garryson, titled ‘Robert E. Howard’s Champion’ and the second by Donald M. Grant called ‘Thunder Road’.
The first major collection of the fantasy artist’s work in 20 years, this book is filled with classic and previously unseen portrayals of futuristic cities, prehistoric beasts, jungle men, bodacious beauties, and more. Providing a rich overview of Krenkel’s work, this book is profusely illustrated with 250 illustrations and photos-from his defining artwork on Tarzan, Conan, and Wizard of Oz, to his collaborations with Frank Frazetta.
- 1 • RGK: The Art of Roy G. Krenkel • interior artwork by Roy G. Krenkel
- 7 • Roy G. Krenkel: An Introduction • essay by J. David Spurlock
- 11 • RGK & The Fleagles: Food for Thought • essay by Al Williamson
- 18 • RGK & ERB: Expanding the Burroughs Tradition • essay by William Stout
- 51 • RGK & REH: Part I: Robert E. Howard’s Champion • (2005) • essay by Richard Garrison
- 58 • RGK & REH: Part II: Thunder Road • essay by Donald M. Grant
- 63 • I Remember Roy: The Canaveral Press Days • essay by Richard A. Lupoff
- 72 • RGK & The Innocent Bystander: A Memoir • essay by Bill Pearson
- 82 • Roy G. Krenkel: A Remembrance • essay by Angelo Torres
- 92 • RGK & Warren: Thrust into the Real World • essay by Richard Garrison and J. David Spurlock
- 103 • The New Generations: Part I: Drawing the Line • essay by Michael Kaluta [as by Michael Wm. Kaluta]
- 125 • The New Generations: Part II: The Soul of Fantasy Art • essay by Tom Yeates [as by Thomas Yeates]
- 131 • Afterword: RGK: A Wonderful Inspiration • essay by Frank Frazetta
First printing July 2005.
No printing number line in book.
© 2005 Vanguard Productions.
“Essays are © 2005 by the respective authors.” on copyright page.
Previously unpublished works are © 2005 by the Estate of Roy G. Krenkel.
Deluxe hardcover edition ISBN 1-887591-54-0 (spacing) $49.95. Contains an extra portfolio p. 137 – 152.
Hardcover edition ISBN 1-887591-53-2 (spacing) $34.95.
Compiled and edited by J. David Spurlock and Barry Klugerman.
Book design and art direction by Dean Motter and J. David Spurlock.
Cover design by J. David Spurlock.
Production assistance by Andrew E. C. Gaska.
“Ultra Deluxe Edition”, limited to 120 copies. Contains the deluxe edition portfolio.
Leather-bound, gilded page edges, velvet-covered slipcase.
Original Krenkel ink sketch tipped in, Roy G. Krenkel embossed seal.
Front cover not directly attributed, but the same artwork is repeated on page 22 with crediting on page 23 lower right corner of “Cover illustration for Out of Time’s Abyss by Edgar Rice Burroughs, Ace Books, circa 1960”.
Afterword: RGK: A Wonderful Inspiration “Revised by Frank Frazetta from a February, 1983 interview conducted by S. G. Ringgenberg” underneath title on essay title page.
Not titled essays, quotations or commentary attributed to individuals. Page 85, top right short commentary Harlan Ellison. Page 86, top page, Harry Harrison. Page 108. left col., “from a letter to RGK, September 12, 1965”. Page 120, left col., by Frank Brunner. Page 126, left col., by Bernie Wrightson. Page 128, left col., by Charles Vess. Page 129, right col., Marck Schultz.
“Commentary by Al Williamson and Frank Frazetta” on bottom of front cover.
Check out some of Krenkels art in my gallery.