One Who Walked Alone: Robert E. Howard, The Final Years is a memoir of Robert E. Howard by Novalyne Price Ellis. Donald M. Grant, Publisher, Inc. published the book in 1986 with an edition of 800 copies. The book was adapted into the film The Whole Wide World in 1996. Grant has reprinted the book four times: 1988 (550 copies), 1998 (500 copies) and twice more. Starting with the third printing, the dust jacket was changed to include a picture of Renée Zellweger from her role in The Whole Wide World.
- 9 • In Regard to This Book and the Author • (1986) • essay by Tevis Clyde Smith
- “To a Woman” (2, poem)
- “One Who Comes at Eventide” (poem)
- “Your Bearded Friend” (drawing)
- Letter to Novalyne Price, September 27, 1934, “How about going to the show . . .”
- Letter to Novalyne Price, ca. December 1934, “Like my meal-ticket, Conan the Cimmerian . . .”
- Letter to Novalyne Price, June 19, 1935, “The weather is good . . .”
- Letter to Novalyne Price, June 19, 1935, “Dear Novalyne . . . cordially . . .”
- Letter to Novalyne Price, July 4, 1935, “I take my typewriter . . .”
- Letter to Novalyne Price, July 8, 1935, “Thank you for your invitation to call . . .”
- Letter to Novalyne Price, February 14, 1936, “I heard yesterday you had . . .”
- Letter to Novalyne Price, February 15, 1936, “I’m sorry but I won’t be able . . .”
- Letter to Novalyne Price, March 5, 1936, “I just now read the letter . . .”
- Letter to Novalyne Price, May 27, 1936, “You needn’t have bothered . . .”
There have been at least 4 printings.
The last two differ in the number line on the copyright page; the books do not give publication dates.
The cover of the second printing is a black and white copy of the cover from the first printing.
The cover of the third and fourth printings feature a photograph of Renée Zellweger.
Basis for the movie “The Whole Wide World” released in 1996 starring Renée Zellweger and Vincent D’Onofrio.
The first printing was 600 copies.
The second printing was 550 copies.
The number of copies for the later printings is unknown.
|Published by:||Donald M. Grant|
|Year :||October 1986 | 1988 (second printing) | December 1998 (third printing) | Unknown date (fourth printing)|
|Format :||Hardcover with dust jacket (6.25 x 9.4 inches)|
|Cover art:||Richard Berry (second and first), Picture of Renée Zellweger (third)|
|Cover design:||Shiela Berry and Richard Berry|
|Illustrations :||20 b&w photos|