Fantastic Science Fiction & Fantasy Stories volume 24, No. 2.
“Shadows in the Skull” is a short story by American writers L. Sprague de Camp and Lin Carter, featuring the fictional sword and sorcery hero Conan the Barbarian created by Robert E. Howard. This is its first publication. It first appeared in book form by Ace Books in the paperback collection Conan of Aquilonia in May 1977 which was reprinted several times through 1994. The first British edition was published by Sphere Books in October 1978.
Aided by Zembabwean Wyvern-riders and black Amazons, King Conan of Aquilonia and his son, Prince Conn, track their arch-foe, Stygian sorcerer Thoth-Amon, to the extreme southern end of the Hyborian continent.
The sorcerer has taken refuge with the last remnants of the evil Serpent Men, shape-changers who have menaced mankind throughout its prehistory. Conan’s allies locate their skull-shaped hideout, only to fall victim to the Serpent Men’s ploy of emulating beautiful Stygian women.
His final battle with Thoth-Amon in the sorcerer’s own domain proves as hard-fought as their previous encounters, but is ultimately successful at ridding the world of the fiend. Conan’s 13-years old son, Conn, deals the death blow to his father’s old arch-enemy.
- 4 • Editorial (Fantastic, February 1975) • [Editorial (Fantastic)] • essay by Ted White
- 6 • Shadows in the Skull • [Conan] • novelette by Lin Carter and L. Sprague de Camp
- 7 • Shadows in the Skull • interior artwork by Michael Nally
- 28 • Perchance to Dream • short story by Robert F. Young
- 29 • Perchance to Dream • interior artwork by Stephen Fabian
- 42 • To Be a Witch, in Three-Quarter Time • novelette by Charles L. Grant [as by C. L. Grant]
- 43 • To Be a Witch, in Three-Quarter Time • interior artwork by Jeff Jones
- 58 • The Dragon of Tor-Nali • short story by Juanita Coulson
- 59 • The Dragon of Tor-Nali • interior artwork by Michael Kaluta [as by Mike Kaluta]
- 75 • Dissenting • short story by Mike Glicksohn [as by Gardner R. Dubious]
- 78 • Solid Geometry • short story by Ian McEwan
- 79 • Solid Geometry • interior artwork by Richard Olsen
- 93 • Asylum in the Concrete • short story by Paul David Novitski [as by Alpajpuri]
- 100 • The Return of Captain Nucleus • short story by Bruce D. Arthurs
- 101 • The Return of Captain Nucleus • interior artwork by Joe Staton
- 109 • Fantasy Books: From Asgard to Elfland • [Fantasy Books (Fantastic)] • essay by Fritz Leiber
- 109 • Review: Hrolf Kraki’s Saga by Poul Anderson • review by Fritz Leiber
- 111 • Review: The Crystal Gryphon by Andre Norton • review by Fritz Leiber
- 112 • Review: The Return of Kavin by David Mason • review by Fritz Leiber
- 113 • Review: From Elfland to Poughkeepsie by Ursula K. Le Guin • review by Fritz Leiber
- 122 • … According to You (Fantastic, February 1975) • [According to You (Fantastic)] • essay by Ted White
Vol 24, No 2. “Shadows in the Skull” is listed as “Shadow in the Skull” on the table of contents. “To Be a Witch, in Three-Quarter Time” is listed as “To Be a Witch, in Three Quarters Time” on the table of contents.
|Publisher :||Ultimate Publishing|
|Year :||February 1975|
|Format :||Periodical (Digest)|
|Cover :||Stephen E. Fabian|
|Illustrations :||Michael Nally, Stephen Fabian, Jeff Jones, Michael Kaluta, Richard Olsen, Joe Staton|