Issue #3 of a fanzine about Robert E. Howard, featuring some fiction.
This multidisciplinary collection offers the first scholarly investigation of Conan, from Howard’s early stories, through midcentury novels and Arnold Schwarzenegger’s iconic films, to the 2011 cinematic remake of Conan the Barbarian. Drawing on disciplines such as stylometry, archeology, cultural and folklore studies and literary history, the essays examine statistical analyses of the words in Conan texts, the literary genesis of Conan, later-day parodies, Conan video games, and much more. This volume reveals the hidden scholarly depth of this seemingly unsophisticated fictional character.
- 1 • Preface (Conan Meets the Academy: Multidisciplinary Essays on the Enduring Barbarian) • essay by uncredited
- 5 • Introduction (Conan Meets the Academy: Multidisciplinary Essays on the Enduring Barbarian) • essay by uncredited
- 13 • Hyborian Age Archaeology: Unearthing Historical and Anthropological Foundations • essay by Jeffrey Shanks
- 35 • Barbarism Ascendant: The Poetic and Epistolary Origins of the Character and His World • essay by Frank Coffman
- 51 • Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Women: Gender Dynamics in the Hyborian World • essay by Winter Elliott
- 70 • Robert E. Howard’s Barbarian and the Western: A Study of Conan Through the West and the Western Hero • essay by Daniel Weiss
- 91 • Canaan Lies Beyond the Black River: Howard’s Dark Rhetoric of the Contact Zone • essay by Paul Shovlin
- 103 • Statistics in the Hyborian Age: An Introduction to Stylometry • essay by Daniel M. Look
- 123 • Arnold at the Gates: Subverting Star Persona in “Conan” • essay by Nicky Falkof
- 144 • “Hot Avatars” in “Gay Gear”: The Virtual Male Body as Site of Conflicting Desires in “Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures” • essay by James Kelley
- 174 • Fandom and the Nostalgia of Masculinity • essay by Stephen Wall
- 193 • “Barbarian Heroing” and Its Parody: New Perspectives on Masculinity • essay by Imola Bulgozdi
- 213 • About the Contributors (Conan Meets the Academy: Multidisciplinary Essays on the Enduring Barbarian) • essay by uncredited
- 215 • Index (Conan Meets the Academy: Multidisciplinary Essays on the Enduring Barbarian) • essay by uncredited
|Publisher :||McFarland & Company|
|Year :||November 2012|
|Format :||Trade paperback|
|Pages :||vii + 216|
|Cover :||Mark Durr|
Edited by Jonas Prida
Contains many excerpts from REH prose and poetry.
Publication date given as 2013 on copyright page.
Cover artist credited on back cover and copyright page.
The “Preface” and “Introduction” are not credited, but both were almost certainly written by Jonas Prida.