Glenn Lord published some REH collections on his own, such as the periodical The Howard Collector #1–19. In The Howard Collector, from 1961 to 1973, Lord featured previously unpublished (or very rare) pieces by Howard, letters by REH and those who knew him, indices of poems and stories, reprints of articles related to Howard, and news about upcoming publications and other events.
This issue contains ‘Black Canaan’ in Howard’s original version of the story. The original script was sent to Otis Adelbert Kline in Chicago who forwarded it to Jessica Miller in New York. No records survive to indicate what magazines the story was submitted to or what editorial requirements, if any, were made on the story. REH withdrew the script, rewrote it, and resubmitted it to Kline. Kline sent it to WEIRD TALES and it was accepted.
- 2 • Editorial Notes (The Howard Collector V4n1, Summer 2011) • essay by Glenn Lord
- 4 • Black Canaan • (1936) • novelette by Robert E. Howard
- 43 • Untitled Verse (“A high land and a hill land!…) • poem by Robert E. Howard
- 44 • Review: Steve Harrison’s Casebook by Robert E. Howard • review by Fred Blosser
- 45 • Review: Tales of Weird Menace by Robert E. Howard • review by Fred Blosser
- 47 • Review: El Borak and Other Desert Adventures by Robert E. Howard • review by Fred Blosser
- 48 • Review: Sword Woman and Other Historical Adventures by Robert E. Howard • review by Fred Blosser
- 50 • Untitled Breckinridge Elkins Fragment (. . . throat under his lower jaw, and I had . . .) • non-genre • [Breckinridge Elkins] • short story by Robert E. Howard
- 52 • Sketch [boxer] • interior artwork by Robert E. Howard
|Publisher :||Glenn Lord|
|Year :||Summer 2011|
|Format :||Periodical (5.5 x 8.75, saddle stapled)|
|Pages :||52 (without covers)|
|Illustrations :||Sketch by REH|
Issued at Howard Days in Cross Plains, TX.
“Black Canaan” is the original version, before revision for print.
Untitled Breckenridge Elkins Fragment begins, “…throat under his lower jaw, and I had leverage…”