This version is published by Wildside Press in 2005. A Gent from Bear Creek was first published by Herberg Jenkins in England, 1937 after Howards death.
The title of both an original short story, as well as a novel created by combining several previous short stories with some new material; the previously published short stories were altered a little to create chapters with a continuous story line, and new material was added as additional chapters.
This book also includes one Pike Bearfield story and one Buckner J. Grimes story that was rewritten by someone at the Kline agency into Breckinridge stories.
- 7 • Introduction (A Gent from Bear Creek and Others) • essay by Paul Herman
- 9 • A Gent from Bear Creek • non-genre • [Breckinridge Elkins] • (1937) • novel by Robert E. Howard
- 195 • While Smoke Rolled • non-genre • [Breckinridge Elkins] • (1956) • novelette by Robert E. Howard
- 209 • Texas John Alden • non-genre • [Breckinridge Elkins] • (1944) • short story by Robert E. Howard
- Striped Shirts and Busted Hearts (new)
- Mountain Man
- Meet Cap’n Kidd (new)
- Guns of the Mountains
- A Gent from Bear Creek
- The Feud Buster
- The Road to Bear Creek
- The Scalp Hunter
- Cupid from Bear Creek
- The Haunted Mountain
- Educate or Bust (new)
- War on Bear Creek
- When Bear Creek Came to Chawed Ear (new).
- While Smoke Rolled (se notes)
- Texas John Alden (se notes)
Edited by Paul Herman
‘While Smoke Rolled’ was originally a Pike Bearfield story titled ‘While the Smoke Rolled.’ It was rewritten by someone at the Kline agency into a Breckinridge Elkins story.
‘Texas John Alden’ was originally a Buckner J. Grimes story titled ‘Ring-Tailed Tornado.’ It was rewritten by someone at the Kline agency into a Breckinridge Elkins story.